Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Aristotle On How to live Life

I have often argued what the preferred life of a philosopher should be. Aristotle obliviously believes that a true philosophers place is within society. Is this true? I would like to say yes. The whole point of philosophy is for the good of mankind so what good are the answers if not shared? Although I agree with the overall point of Aristotle it isn’t without terms.
            While I do think that it is only within the confines of a society that a great thinker can use their abilities I don’t think any thinker can reach their own full potential without a period of separation. What do I mean by this? This separation I speak of is a seclusion from ones peers leaving one the time to contemplate and question. While being within a society may be the best uses of ones skills in concentrated contemplation I think there is something to be said for the unique opportunities and ideas the solitary lifestyle brings. With alone time seems to come a kind of peace and calmness of ones mind that often brings forth the most profound ideas. Socrates is well known for doing this when he would simply “zone out” and go into deep thought. Albert Einstein is also known for being so focused on his ideas he was able to disassociate himself from the world.

            For me it is a combination of intellectual conversation and time for thought that brings forth the best results. I am not saying that everyone should go to the woods or beach because that is not obligatory for all. I am speaking of a mind state, while some are able to go into deep thought in any atmosphere most people require some kind of control in order to completely focus on the task at hand. I do agree that philosophers must work from within a society but they must also remember importance of being able to separate themselves from their society and think from a rational point of view.

2 comments:

  1. Take a look at Bryant's blog ya'll have a very similar intuition about the nature of philosophy though you are talking about two different philosophers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the need for balance between solitude and engagement with others.

    ReplyDelete