Thursday, January 30, 2014

Anaxagoras Ethics

When deciding on which topic I wanted to choose I was torn because of my interest in many of the authors so I decided to allow my classmates to help me narrow down the choices by choosing theirs first. After allowing some time to pass I was glad to see that Anaxagoras' Ethics remained because I found it not only interesting but slightly challenging. I have found the love of a challenge common in philosophers as well as those who read their works. 

What finally caused me to choose Anaxagoras was his quote I found in some of my older notes "All other things have a portion of everything, but Mind is infinite and self-ruled. . . . For it is the finest of all things and the purest; it has all knowledge about everything and the greatest power. And Mind controls all things, both the greater and the smaller, that have life". This line alone caused me to continue looking further into his ideas and his thoughts on ethics. His love for science and philosophy intermingle in a way that I see structuring his ideas much different from the philosophers of present day; but it is his accuracy in his predictions of the scientific nature that brought me to see how close he's come in regards to ethics. While Socrates has been remembered because of his influence on Aristotle ,commonly known as the greatest philosopher to ever live, through Socrates own student Plato who was Aristotle's teacher and mentor; Anaxagoras seems to be forgotten. In a way Anaxagoras is the Great Grandfather of philosophy and I hope to bring forth his importance through my presentation.

2 comments:

  1. In a way, you are right about Anaxagoras' influence on the direction of philosophy, even if it is a via negativa sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested to learn your thoughts on Anaxagoras' influence as well as what understand about his ethics from the quote you give.

    ReplyDelete